University of Birmingham Conference Park, Edgbaston Room, Lucas House https://conferences.bham.ac.uk
The workshop was preceded on 22 May by a Remote Visualisation workshop.
The agenda was:
- 10.00: Arrivals and Coffee
- 10.30: Welcome and Introductions – Committee Introduction
- 10.45: Datacentre Experiences – Local, Remote or in a container?
- Simon Burbidge (Bristol) – Experiences of using a remote facility – pros and cons? 1 HPC-SIG 23 May 2018
- Dave Acreman (Exeter – Remote Presentation) – transitioning from an interim ‘container’ datacenter to local facility
- Jeffrey Salmond (Cambridge) – Managing local and hosted systems: how to juggle communities?
- John Owen (Birmingham) – Birmingham University’s Purpose Built, Water-cooled Research Focussed Datacentre (zero reliance on trad air cooling!). HPC SIG May 18
- Panel discussion
- 12.00: Ricky Martin (Strathclyde) Energy Efficiency Finance Strathclyde-SIG_May2018-SALIX-presentation
- 12.30: LUNCH
- 13.30: Chairs Report / SIG Priorities SIG-ChairsReport
- 14.00: EPSRC Tier-2 Site Updates
- Awareness of services and how to gain access to these facilities
- Chris Woods (GW4 Isambard), Jeffrey Salmond (CSD3) , Andy Turner (Cirrus) , Chris Kitchen (Supercomputing Wales), Aaron Turner (HPC MidPlus)5 HPC-SIG-2018-05-23-Tier2, Owain Kenway (MMM / Thomas Update) 6 Thomas_intro_mid – TBC JADE (did not occur)
- 14.55: Afternoon Tea
- 15.20: Lightning Talks from incoming SIG Committee
- 15.35: KEY NOTE: Paul Hatton
- 16.15: AOB/ Meeting close
- Date and Location of Next Meeting
- Future Presentation Volunteers
As always, the meeting was followed by refreshment and lively discussion in a local hostelry to which all were welcome.