HPC-SIG Meeting, 2024-03-04/05, RAL

Location: STFC Rutherford Appleton Labs (RAL)

Day 1 – Monday 4th March

12:00: Lunch

13:00: Welcome and Chair’s Business

  • Code of conduct: We plan to introduce a code of conduct for the HPC-SIG. Further details to follow.
  • Elections update
    • Many thanks to committee members stepping down at the end of their terms: Andy (secretary) and Chris (communications).
    • Welcome to Deepak (secretary)
    • Open committee positions:
      • Treasurer
      • Someone to share the EDIA role
      • Communications
    • We are also interested in people who may like to help out in a less formal capacity, for example:
      • Help with the website, social media etc.
      • Community liaison or engagement
    • Sponsorship of events:
      • We outlined options for the HPC-SIG to sponsor other events. By a show of hands there was clear support for the HPC-SIG to sponsor RSECon24 with the Community package (£2.5k)
    • Branding update – the new logos were shown and hexagonal stickers were made available
    • Report on the CIUK sysadmin meetup (Simon Atack)
    • Overview of future meetings


13:30 Talk: “HPC at RAL”, Jonathan Churchill, STFC

13:45 Talk: “Cyber Security and HPC”, Dr David Crooks, Scientific Computing Division, STFC

14:15 Refreshments

14:30 Talk: “Data Centre Cooling”, Joe Bishop, Cambridge and Richard Horler, NBI

15:00 Fishbowl panel

15:45 Facility tours

17:00 End

19:00 Dinner at a restaurant in Didcot

Day 2 – Tuesday 5th March

09:00 Refreshments

09:30 Welcome to day 2

09:45 Talk: “Federated access to Isambard-AI – Requirements for attribute release by IDPs”, Christopher J. Walker, Jisc and Dr Christopher Woods, University of Bristol

10:15 Technical lightning talks (5-7 minutes each):

  • “A is for Access: Having fun with LD_PRELOAD” , Sam Gallop, NBI
  • “Backstage at the Daemonic Symphony: The architecture of the HTCondor batch scheduler”, Matthew West, University of Exeter
  • “Using hardware timestamping for more accurate network time”, Christopher J. Walker, Jisc

10.40 (option1) Technical Stream

Chaired by Simon Atack

Discussion on the lightning talk topics

10:40 (option 2) Management/Strategic Stream

Chaired by Polly Eccleston and Steven Chapman

  • “EDIA in Research Computing Cyber-Infrastructure”, Matthew West, University of Exeter
  • “EDIA and HPC-SIG plans overview”, Polly Eccleston, University of Bristol


12:15 Close and notices

12:30 Lunch

13:30 Optional workshop on SONiC Network OS

15:30 Close