Location: University of Birmingham Conference Park, Edgbaston Room, Lucas House
The workshop was preceded on 22 May by a Remote Visualisation workshop.
The agenda was:
- 10.00: Arrivals and Coffee
- 10.30: Welcome and Introductions – Committee Introduction
- 10.45: Datacentre Experiences – Local, Remote or in a container?
- Simon Burbidge (Bristol) – Experiences of using a remote facility – pros & cons?
- Dave Acreman (Exeter – Remote Presentation) – transitioning from an interim ‘container’ datacenter to local facility
- Jeffrey Salmond (Cambridge) – Managing local and hosted systems: how to
- John Owen (Birmingham) – Birmingham University’s Purpose Built, Water-
cooled Research Focussed Datacentre (zero reliance on trad air cooling!).
- Panel discussion
- 12.00: Ricky Martin (Strathclyde) Energy Efficiency Finance
- 12.30: LUNCH
- 13.30: Chairs Report / SIG Priorities
- 14.00: EPSRC Tier-2 Site Updates
- Awareness of services and how to gain access to these facilities
- Chris Woods (GW4 Isambard), Jeffrey Salmond (CSD3), Jo Beech Brandt TBC
(Cirrus), Chris Kitchen (Supercomputing Wales), Aaron Turner (HPC MidPlus),
Owain Kenway (MMM / Thomas Update) – TBC JADE
- 14.55: Afternoon Tea
- 15.20: Lightening Talks from incoming SIG Committee
- Archers Champions / RSE updates (Martin Callaghan)
- Tier3/Tier2 Engagement challenges from emerging and existing communities (Aaron Turner)
- Establishing and growing resources challenges (Graeme Murphy)
- 15.35: KEY NOTE: Paul Hatton
- 16.15: AOB/ Meeting close
- Date & Location of Next Meeting
- Future Presentation Volunteers
Event registration is at https://hpc-sig-meeting-23-may.eventbrite.co.uk.
As always, the meeting was followed by refreshment and lively discussion in a local hostelry to which all were welcome.