Memorandum of Understanding
High Performance Computing Special Interest Group (UK)
The Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation (US)
This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) sets forth the terms and understanding between the UK High Performance Computing Special Interest Group (HPC-SIG) and the US Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation (CASC), to share information and collaborate internationally on research and development in the area of advanced scientific computation.
Founded in 2005, the HPC-SIG was established to promote the value of advanced research computing facilities in UK Higher Education. By meeting and sharing experiences it promotes best practice in the design, management and support of advanced e-infrastructures, in order to secure their role as a vital research service across all academic disciplines. The HPC-SIG constitutes over 40 full member Universities and 15 affiliate organizations.
Founded in 1989, the Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation (CASC) is an educational nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with more than 74 member institutions representing many of USA’s most forward thinking universities and computing centers. CASC is dedicated to advocating the use of the most advanced computing technology to accelerate scientific discovery for national competitiveness, global security, and economic success, as well as develop a diverse and well-prepared 21st century workforce.
This MOU outlines the purpose and structure of the partnership and establishes a commitment towards good practice in the way the partners work with each other. It is an opportunity for international collaboration in the area of advanced scientific computation.
CASC and HPC-SIG agree to:
- Maintain an open invite to a number of members to attend each other’s meetings to share experience and promote best practice around areas of common interest.
- Where appropriate, work collaboratively on addressing emerging challenges in HPC and advance scientific computing.
- Share relevant announcements from each other’s mailing lists e.g. open research calls, relevant vacancies
- Foster collegial partnerships which may result in co-hosted workshops, meetings.
- Facilitate and support existing collaborations between Academics within member’s sites.
- Highlight to relevant stakeholders within the US and UK areas of mutual concern and/or interest.
The goal of our organizations’ activities and research is the advancement of scientific knowledge, quality and impact and does not have a commercial objective. The results of the research will be published or broadly shared in the relevant communities.
This Agreement constitutes the entire and only agreement between the parties relating to the research, and all prior negotiations, representations, agreements and understandings are superseded hereby, and may not be assigned by either party without the prior written consent of the other party.